Smells good, eh?
Or how did 'Dill Garden and the Mystery of a Missing Fork' sound? After school most of the children went visiting each other but Elderberry always took the school bus straight back home. She had no friends but then, she didn't even want friends. Her toy-bunny Julius was all she needed. Dommithilde was thrilled. Glamour had finally reached Galaad, as some crazy eccentric movie director had decided to start up a film production company of his own and he had found the perfect place to inspire his artistic view. So off he went to Galaad and built a huge studio on the hills.
Dommithilde was fascinated by all the fancy stuff at the studio. Once again, she simply had to take some souvenirs with her. - Hey pumpkin, how's school?
- Fine, dad...
- Have you found any friends?
- No, but that's not why I go to school. I have to study
Dill was perplexed. Perhaps it was living in this horrendous bunker that had made Elderberry such a loner... Dommithilde was reading the morning paper when she spotted something terrible. The police had been summoned to investigate the robbery at the film studio. Fooling Dill was a piece of cake but fooling the police? No way she could pull that off. Already the police had found some remarkable clues...
Dommithilde was determined. Dill must not find out about this. - Good morning, chéri...
- Good morning, sweetheart... Have you seen the morning paper? I would like to check the news before going to work..
- The morning paper? No, maybe they forgot to bring eet? - Forgot to deliver our paper? That's it, I'm going to call the office!
- No! I mean, no... You 'ave never time for me anymore!
- What? What does that have to do with our morning paper?!
- Even the news are more important than me!
- But honey...
- You'd rather look at the news than at me! Am I that unattractive?! Dill was utterly confused but he had no other choice than to attend to his wife's needs. Dill was on his way to the editing office of the local newspaper, to file a complaint against their paper boy when his phone rang.
- Hey Dill
- Hey, what's up?
- Listen, you know how we have been investigating that robbery at the film studio?
- What? No...
- Anyways, I found some significant clues just couple minutes ago and I had a finger-print match
- Oh? So you've found the thief?
- Yeah, but there's one problem
- How so?
- It's Dommithilde
- Dill? Are you still there?
- Yeah... Wow... Oh my creator
- I know... What should I do to the evidence?
- I need to think about this, I'll get back to you later
- Okay, but don't do anything stupid! Dill didn't know how he made it to the local pub but he stumbled to the room and sat down. The bartender handed him a drink.
- On the house, you look like you need a drink quite badly.
- Thank you...
- Marital problems? You can tell me if you need to talk about it...
- I can't believe how she could betray me like that! All these years, lies and deceiving!
- Poor chap, want another drink? Meanwhile, Elderberry had gone fishing. She had skipped the last lesson, as it was sports. Elderberry didn't hate sports, in fact she liked them but the lessons at school... She hated it when they had to choose teams because she was always the last one to be chosen. And she wasn't even the worst one! Dommithilde couldn't quite believe it, but it was true. She was pregnant again. It was no wonder with all that bedroom stuff that had been going on lately during the mornings but still, Dommithilde had never even thought about having another child. When Dill got home, Dommithilde was waiting for him in the kitchen.
- Chéri, I 'ave some news!
- Oui, I am pregnant!
- Pregnant?! Dill didn't know what to think. Pregnant? About the perfect timing... How could he possibly tell Dommithilde that he knew all about her shady business and the betrayal that had been going on for all the time they had been together? No, the shock would be too much for his poor wife, especially in this delicate condition.
- Dill? Are you not 'appy?
- Me? Of course I am!
Dill's cheeks hurt from faking the smile but he had no other choice. He would just wait till the baby was born. Elderberry had started to spend her days away from home. She didn't know what was wrong with her parents but she had noticed that there was something. Dill was way too tense around Dommithilde and Dommithilde didn't even notice it. Elderberry didn't know whether she should be worried or not.
The stories she had heard at school about the kids, whose parents were divorced haunted her mind. But as usual, Elderberry found happiness in the nature and in her solitude. There was also one thing Elderberry didn't understand. Usually her mother was so fashionable and loved showing off her curves, so why was she wearing those saggy clothes all the time? - I'm so glad you could make it, brother
- I was happy to come, sis, thanks for inviting me... I really needed to get out of the house
- You mean the bunker? But why didn't you bring my lovely sister-in-law with you?
- Dommithilde? She was too sick... She's pregnant again
- But that's wonderful! Now you just have to keep her safe from the aliens
- I guess so
Safe indeed. But not from some aliens. Dill had to protect Dommithilde from the consequences of her own actions...
Gardener's Dream - Chapter 41
Jan 26, 2011 by YrS92
Moderator actions: Unpublish
Report this Story:
If you find a problem with this story or wish to report inappropriate content, click here